Saturday, February 5, 2011

becoming miranda...

Self-awareness—the ability to perceive one’s own existence, including one’s own traits, feelings, and behaviors. (wordIQ.com)

As a clinical psychology graduate student, beginning therapist, and an actual therapy client, self-awareness has become a way of life for me, especially in the past year and a half.  Although typically a fairly self-aware and introspective person, I am definitely experiencing a heightened awareness of myself, others, and God….  and honestly, it can be quite overwhelming.

I recently described to my supervisor at my externship (I'm a therapist at a college counseling center) my feelings of being overwhelmed with so much awareness.  In many ways, I feel like I am seeing myself for the first time… all the good parts of me, all the bad parts, and all the parts that need a whole lot of growth and development….  And sometimes, I’m not quite sure what I need to “do” with my ever-increasing knowledge.  When I expressed these thoughts (with a slight “huff” of frustration) to my supervisor, she stated rather beautifully, “We are all works-in-progress.  An important part of growth is being okay in becoming.”

Wow.  With that one word, becoming, my spirit quieted and I felt a sense of peace.  A peace about who I am and where I am going…. and a peace that can only come from the One who is guiding me on this journey of becoming Miranda. 

I may not always understand the journey and where it’s taking me, but I am at rest in my identity.   Daily, I am being fashioned by the hands of God to become more of the Miranda that I was meant to be. 

Thank you for joining me on this journey of becoming.

Blessings,
Miranda 

2 comments:

_ck_ said...

Oh, Miranda...
So glad I can join you in this journey :) Nothing would make me happier. You have already become so many wonderful things already- can't wait to hear about all the Lord opens your eyes to. I love you!

Aileen said...

Miranda,
I love your new blog! I can't wait to keep reading and seeing what you discover on your journey. love.